Green Home Tips and Advice
Below you will find a list of "quick and dirty" tips and suggestions for making your home and life more green and sustainable. Have your own tip you'd like to share? Please do! Send your tip(s) to: info(at)homeimprovementhelper.com.
- A punctured water hoses can make a good drip irrigation system in your garden
- Place left over cedar shingles in your closets to shoo away moths.
- Replace your incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent bulb and save over $40 a year.
- Replace the rubber seals in your garden hoses and sprinklers to eliminate leaks. Even a small drip can mean a gallon or more of wasted water over a day.
- Clean the lint filter in your dryer after every load so that it uses less energy.
- Buy rechargeable batteries for devices used frequently such as remote controls, hand held video games, and digital cameras.
- Water your yard and garden at the right time to reduce water use. You minimize evaporation by watering early in the morning or at sunset when the temperature is cooler.
- Instead of buying moving boxes ask grocery stores, printers, etc... for their used boxes. It may take a little bit more time but it will save trees, energy, and the chemicals and emissions of creating and then recycling boxes unnecessarily.
- Say good bye to vampire power loss and save $100 or more over a year's time.