Tips for Better Painting
Try out these paint tips:
- For best results paint during moderate temperatures and avoid painting when there is any risk of rain. Water and/or extreme heat can damage your freshly painted wall.
- Always mix your paint until it has proper color consistency. Re-mix fairly regularly to ensure the color stays consistent. (If you are painting a large area you may want to mix several gallons of paint into a larger bucket to make sure you have consistent color over the entire surface.
- Paint the top and work down leaving any trim work until the last.
- When you need to take a break wrap up your roller or brushes in plastic to keep them from drying out. If you need to break for a longer period of time (overnight) wrap them in plastic and place them in a refrigerator.
- If you are painting siding or some other surface that has a horizontal orientation work from side to side when using a brush to cut down on lap marks.
- Use long smooth strokes when painting with a brush this will give you the most smooth and consistent paint application.
- Make sure you have an extension pole when using a roller. Not only will this allow you to reach higher on a wall but will actually reduce your arm strain when properly used.
- If you are painting a large house consider renting a sprayer which will speed up the painting process and may deliver a more consistent coverage. Paint sprayers can be rented inexpensively at many paint and/or rental stores.