Home Window Installation Tips
Install Your Windows
Installing windows may be right up your alley. If you are a dedicated handy man or woman then below you will find a few things to consider as you begin your project. If you're fairly sure you don't have the time, motivation or knowledge to tackle this task get in touch with your contractor or get free window estimates with pre-screened local contractors.
Tips on window installation:
- You'll need some basic carpentry tools, a reciprocating saw, and any necessary safety equiptment (ladder or scafolding) if the job is on a second story or higher.
- If you are working with vinyl or clad windows make sure to check that all of the nailing flanges are attached properly.
- On new costruction be sure to tuck the flanges under the housewrap so you have an extra drainage plane.
- Always make sure you have a second person to help you install the window to assure it goes smoothly without any bumps or breaks.
- Make sure the window is level and square before fastening it down. You may need to use blocks of wood to shim the new window.
- Be sure to use the number of nails called for by the manufacturer to keep the window in place.
- Caulk and paint (as needed) to finish off the window.